Saturday, February 25, 2023

Barcelona

Barcelona 
I am one of the lucky ones who has been to Barcelona twice- and I would go again in a heartbeat. Barcelona has quaint streets, large pedestrian zones, the beach, architecture like you have never dreamed of, markets, shopping, museums, parks and the crown jewel- Sagrada Familia- which in my opinion is the most beautiful cathedral in the world. (St. Peter's  in Rome is a very close second ---modern vs ancient)

My travel friends and I went to Barcelona in 2012 and my husband and I in 2018. My recommendation for hotel location is to stay near to Placa Catalunya. (on the Ramblas or Passeig de Gracia- there is good security in these areas and they are centrally located).
Though there are many neighborhoods that are safe, you must consider your time. I like to walk out my door and know that I am in a foreign city AND that I am close to most everything!

Let's start with my favorite place, Sagrada Familia.
You must buy dated timed tickets ahead of time on the internet. I suggest that you do one of the elevator rides up (walk down) the tower. I have only done the Nativity Tower because it overlooks the inside of the exterior of the building. It was so interesting to see the workers, scaffolding and cranes. I can't wait to visit the Cathedral when it is completed, probably after 2026.  Here are some pictures of the church.





we jokingly refer to this as parachute Jesus


outside but on the interior



elevator up, staircase down


outside interior from tower level

exterior from ground level

One of my other top places to visit was Park Guell - a Gaudi designed park.  They were working on it when we visited in 2012, and it was totally free, but when my husband and I went in 2018 - they were still working on it, but you needed timed tickets to enter, so we just walked around the outside. Sources who were there in 2022 say that is nearly finished. I am sure it is worth the time and money!





Next on my "must see" list is Casa Mila aka La Pedrera.  It is a Gaudi designed apartment complex. It is located on The Block of Discord - which gets its name from the wild architectural elements on this street.  You can't help but to walk slowly and keep gawking and taking pics.







The Block of Discord- love walking down this street.



Barcelona Beach is really fun when it is warm enough to swim, or just sit outside and have a cocktail.




As you walk down the Ramblas to the beach, you can pop in La Boqueria Market.  We bought fresh squeezed juices, saffron threads, smoked paprika, nuts and dried berries. When my husband and I stayed here we had kitchen access so we bought chicken and veggies.
 





With my husband we walked (and walked :-) over to the Funicular de Montjuic and then picked up the Teleferic de Montjuic cable car that zips you up to the Castle of Montjuic. The views were incredible!






The thing that fascinated me about this whole area were the ground mosaics out in pedestrian areas



When I was with the girls in 2012, we visited the Joan Miro Museum- it is in this Montjuic area too.
The views from the museum were awesome. Pictures weren't allowed inside so all I have is this crazy sculpture. Miro was MUCH better than this-lol.. (however I thought Joan was a lady, until I went here - and THIS ladies and gentlemen is why we all NEED to travel!)




We really enjoyed hanging out in the Catherdral of Barcelona Placa listening to live music and getting Sid's Intsagram photo



It spells out Barcelo

One of the things that I have never done is to see the Magic Fountain display at the base of Montjuic National Palace.  I wasn't there on the right nights or there was a malfunction...but it is on my list.
Here is a photo of what I missed.  (a reason to return)




But there are so many memories that  I hold dear to my heart about Barcelona

Los Caracoles restaurant  with the snail shaped bread (and then we realized caracoles in Spanish is snails- but in Catalan language it it Caragoles!!- confusing)  Also the restaurant Mariachi band that we avoided eye contact with so we didn't have to tip them for the third time!!






Advice: Don't follow the exit signs through the gift shop at Sagrada Familia- or you will be on the street and your friends will still be inside for another half hour

When you knew to take your husband in a taxi up to Park Guell, because the walk there is ALL uphill (and you know this because you made your girlfriends walk there- sorry)....but when you get there, you need a timed ticket...and half of the park is still under construction.





This is a bar owner in Barcelona, who is a relative of my friend Joanne, from High School in Scotch Plains.  She gave me his bar info and told him we were coming! It is the only only bar in Barcelona  that has a New York Mets guy on display!!  He gave us free cocktails and tapas. We felt like local bar celebrities. Thanks Joanne is was a great afternoon!


This is, unknown to us, the illegal Airbnb, that my husband and I stayed in, 1/2 block from Placa Catalunya on the Ramblas with a giant patio overlooking the city. The owner said "I will knock twice and stop and knock twice again- don't answer the door for any  other"  I think Barcelona is cracking down on foreigners investing in apartments and renting them regardless of neighbors concerns. 
Illegal or not, this place was fabulous!!! We did laundry and cooked our meals and ate on the patio.











When I was here with my travel girls we also stayed on the Ramblas in a hotel- there was a grocery store across the street to get  our evening wine for the balcony happy hour.  When you are splitting the cost of a hotel room with a friend,  it is so much easier to stay on budget.



Finding out the significance of this square at Sagrada Familia.
the number 33 in all directions. The age of Christ when he died.
There are so many symbols at Sagrada, get a book or get a guide or you will miss out!!



This was our last girl trip  dinner of our  18 night Spain excursion which included not only Barcelona, but Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba, Madrid and a side journey for some of us to Marrakesh, Morocco  or Nerja- on the Costa del Sol, Spain .


I remember this foggy night so well. I could smell the burnt Padron peppers from the vendors along the Ramblas. I could feel the warmth of the red wine I had been drinking with my meal. I remember turning to my friends and saying "SMILE" as we ambled our way back to our hotel in the fog.

And one last thought... Though we were staying on the Ramblas with a balcony, in a Rick Steves hotel,
 these were the "controllers for the room"... I am glad they did this - we were comfortable every night.


I love travel



No comments:

Post a Comment